The Saline District Courthouse is the last remaining of nine rural courthouses built in the 1880’s for the districts of the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory. The rural courthouses had jurisdiction over all criminal misdemeanor crimes, and civil suits under $100. Cases involving more than $100 were heard at the Supreme Court in Tahlequah.
When the US Congress passed the Curtis Act in 1898, the Saline Courthouse closed its doors. The land was allotted to Felix Teehee and the courthouse sold for $75 to James Teehee. The site and buildings were later sold in 1912 to John M and Poca Phillips.
The original structure, built in 1884, was about half the current size. It was later added to and adapted to use as a country home.
Along with a springhouse and the Teehee Cemetery, the courthouse sits on 14 acres where three fresh
water springs meet. The site, recently designated as Saline National Park, is the first Cherokee national park.
The Saline Courthouse is located approximately 8 miles east of Locust Grove on Hwy 33/Scenic 412.
Travel to the Mayes/Delaware County line – County Road 449. Turn south and travel approximately 1 mile.
The courthouse is on the east side of the road.